Hello! My name is Danielle Tucker, the School Counselor at Navajo Public Schools. This page provides you with information about the School Counseling program, upcoming counseling-related activities and events, and counseling topics and resources.
My job here at Navajo is to facilitate the academic, career, and personal/social development of all students. A School Counselor is an integral member of the instructional team. I hope to directly impact student achievement by delivering comprehensive services that meet the needs of the 21st century school community.
What does this mean for your child? This means that I pay close attention to every student in the building and how he/she connects’ to his/her education and therefore achieves to the maximum level possible. I help your child and all school stakeholders to creatively problem-solve any issues that may (temporarily or otherwise) pose an obstacle to the learning process.
What is a School Counselor?
I am a (minimum Master’s level) certified, trained, and caring professional who works with all students, parents, teachers, staff and the community, in order for every student to achieve academic and social success. School Counseling services are delivered in four specific ways:
- Classroom Counseling Curriculum– designing ,structuring, and delivering classroom lessons so that students develop specific outcome-driven competencies in all grades (personal/social, academic, career)and driven by the needs of the school population
- Individual Student Planning– assisting students with goal formation/planning (behavioral, academic, etc.)
- Responsive Services– meeting immediate student needs (counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, referral, peer mediation, information-providing)
- System Support– school wide program planning and implementation, consulting with other professionals, coordination of various supports for students and families
How does your child experience school counseling services?
- Individual Counseling- I may work with a student in a safe, positive, and confidential setting to address issues that get in the way of’ school achievement. Topics are based on the needs of the student and may include: understanding feelings, changing families/divorce, grief, stress, social skills, and academics, bullying, problem-solving, and decision-making.
- Small Group Counseling- A process where students sharing similar issues or concerns work together in a small group environment consisting of about 3-6 peers. The group sessions usually last about 30 minutes and are held for approximately 6-8 weeks. Topics are based on the needs of the students and may include divorce or changing families, grief and loss, friendship and social skills, study skills, conflict resolution, anger management, self-esteem, and stress-management.
- Classroom counseling lessons- I develop and implement PK-5 classroom curriculum driven by national and county school counseling outcomes. I often co-plan and co-teach lessons with other professionals in the building to support social and emotional growth across curricular areas. Classroom lessons are regularly scheduled and address personal, social, academic, and career-related needs at the child’s developmental level. Topics may include self-esteem, conflict resolution, study skills, anger management, career awareness, tattling/reporting, friendship/social skills, responsibility, respect, teasing/bullying, feelings, cooperation, goal setting/decision-making, and peer pressure. I almost always send home a letter to parents after each and every classroom lesson because I believe that a strong home-school partnership is what’s best for kids.
Great resources for parents
Minimizing Summer Learning Loss
Back to School Readiness
Military Family Resources
Here are some other important dates to remember:
ACT TEST DATE 2016-2017
|Test Date||Registration Deadline||(Late Fee Required)|
|September 9, 2017||August 4, 2017||August 5-18, 2017|
|October 28, 2017||September 22, 2017||September 23-October 6, 2017|
|December 9, 2017||November 3, 2017||November 4-17, 2017|
|February 10, 2018**||January 12, 2018||January 13-19, 2018|
Scholarship Opportunity: Sixt Rent a Car- Sixt rent a car will be awarding five students $5,000 dollars toward their study at any 2 or 4 year accredited university. The deadline for entry is November 30, 2016. Visit https://www.sixt.com/sixt-scholars/ for more information.
Websites of interest: OKCollegeStart.org- OKCollegeStart has a number of resources for the graduating senior, including scholarship resources. Visit https://okccollegestart.org for more information. OCCF
Scholarship Opportunity: OCCF.org- OCCF.org has over one hundred twenty scholarships available. Visit https://occf.org/scholarships/ for more information.
Scholarship Opportunity: Honors Graduation- Honors Graduation is giving out one thousand dollars to each of five deserving high school seniors and existing college students. Students must submit an artistic project and write an essay on the topic “Represent your views about the concepts of education vs. learning.”. Visit http://honorsgradu.com/scholarship/ for more information.
Scholarship Opportunity: WEOKIE Credit Union- WEOKIE Credit Union is giving out twenty five scholarships of two thousand dollars each to eligible seniors. The application and more information can be reached by visiting https://weokie.wufoo.com/forms/2017-scholarship-application/.
Scholarship Opportunity: AnimationCareerReview.com- Animation Career Review is offering a $1,000 scholarship to a high school senior who is pursuing a career in animation. Go to this youtube page for more information on the scholarship, and http://www.animationcareerreview.com/ for the sponsors webpage. The deadline for applications is June 1.
Scholarship Opportunity: onlinembareport.com-Online MBA Report is offering a $1,000 scholarship to a high school senior who is pursuing a business degree. Go to http://www.onlinembareport.com/ombar-aspiring-business-professional-scholarship-program for more information on the scholarship. The deadline for applications is June 1.
Scholarship Opportunity: the Sheridan Bautista Sunshine Foundation Scholarship-We have been privileged to have this scholarship available to us for several years. This scholarship is for college bound Navajo Seniors and two awards are available. A .WPS version is available for easier preparation.